Updating ecommerce platforms can be a positive change for your brand. If you are not careful during the transfer you could face some real troubles! Here are 5 efficient tactics you should definitely use!
You are currently using a certain ecommerce platform but you are planning to make a little upgrade? That’s great! Updating ecommerce platforms can be a real positive change for your brand, your business, your products, and your customers. However, if you are not careful enough, this process can create some real troubles, especially when it comes to search ranking and conversions.
In this article, we are going to share 5 efficient tactics that will help you avoid SEO failure during ecommerce platforms transfer:
- Make a list of all of your URLs on your current site – It is essential to have a record of every URL on the old website that you can redirect during the transfer. The last thing you want is to lose any authority you have created with the search engines because you have decided to make this move. We highly recommend you to make a list of any broken links on the current website and existing redirects which are already on the site.
- Determine what kind of changes will happen during the transfer – Changing ecommerce platforms can bring lots of changes to your information architecture. It is essential to determine these changes, before you decide to make the final move.
- Make a list of the URLs that you will be using on the new website – Before you decide to make a change, you should have a clear understanding of how to construct page URLs and keep in mind that the results will be different after the site migration.
- Record any links that are manually created – It is really important to determine which links on your website are manually created and added into the content and which are generated by the ecommerce platforms. Please keep in mind that static links aren’t automatically updated, even if you decide to update the ecommerce platform. After the transfer, you need to create the links manually and these links should redirect to an appropriate page.
- Make a list of the most authoritative web pages – You need to use every external link crawler, for example, Open Site Explorer or Ahrefs, to make a list of all of your existing web pages. After the transfer, the most authoritative URLs shouldn’t change, which is great for you and your SEO. Besides the tools we just mentioned, we also recommend you to use Google Analytics to determine any web pages that have had one or more visits from the external sources in the previous year.
Keep these tactics in mind as you update the ecommerce platform!